|(Lousy phone camera. It's not so highly contrasting, nor the reds/oranges/purples as bright)|
I finally finished my Bambi Rug (last night)! Yes, after 6 months (although a lot of that time I didn't touch it excepting at the weekends, so it could have been quicker).
We (the One True and I) went on an emergency trip to Kazari in Prahran last Saturday, because, even though I have as much fabric as they do, I didn't have anything that looked right for the rug binding. Nothing! And, being silks and cottons (and nylons), I wasn't going to use wool (which I could dye the right colour but which wouldn't look right, texture-wise).
I managed to find (within the first minute) the perfect colour and a pleasing texture to use. An old kimono, unlined, $20. You can see it in this awfully blurred and temporary photo (which shows the colour well, nonetheless). It's fluffy because I cut off-grain and the back-colour shows at the edges (an old shell-pinky shade). Noice.
I also had to have a $10 length of gorgeous, purple, silk-satin damask (amazing colour), and... a shell thingy and a fabulous ceramic bird in jade green. While I was choosing the fabric (and I looked at every roll of cloth in the shop, but came back to the first choice) my Fella went to the art supply shop and spent loads of money. Loads. So, our $20 ended up being nearly $300. Sooo naughty.
But we don't care.
Bambi's now in pride of place in front of the chaise, looking the wrong size but nearby enough, for the moment, to gaze upon all of those beautiful mostly vintage silks.