Wednesday 3 October 2018


Tehran/ An old pattern with a modern twist.

Designed by Rittermere- 7ft x 5ft
Colour planned and hooked by Chris Noorbergen from Australia
On a hessian/ burlap backing with new, hand dyed wool in #6 cut


I purchased this old pattern at the Strathalbyn Rug hooking exhibition in South Australia, in 2014 and started planning almost immediately when I arrived home back in Loch, Victoria.
I researched this pattern for a long time but found very little documentation, although a rug hooking group in Sth Australia did hook this very pattern back in the late 1970s, early 80s. I managed to get some photos of them, but they are vastly different from my colour choices.

Firstly, the colour planning and dyeing. This important step took me many hours.
I looked at many oriental rugs online and studied their colour combinations, contrasts, dulls and brights, dark and lights.
I changed my mind on a number of occasions even after dyeing.
Finally I came up with the colours you now see before you and I am still extremely happy with how they work together.
Enough dull to tone the rug down, balanced with brights, darks and lights.
I am very happy with the neutral background, swirled with the same colour but several shades darker. I feel this combination sets the tone for the whole rug.
When I finished the internal section inside the intermediate border, I had to then repeat the same colour ways in the border. This was a real challenge for me as the pattern on the whole did not repeat in the border, except for a couple of the motives. It was an entirely different section and I needed a bit of help with assigning the colours to the border pattern. The dear ladies from our Yarra Valley Rug Makers came to my aid with suggestions and I took their advice and you see here the finished product.

The rug is hooked with mostly all new wool which I dyed in combinations of three primary colours plus black. [I don’t like to have a lot of dyes on- hand]
It took me approximately 293 hours to make. This includes the many hours of colour planning and dyeing processes.

Overall, I have to say that I am happy with it. Will I keep it? Who knows.
I raise funds for a Mission in Uganda, called Amina House Christian Mission.
My friend Trish is a Missionary there and does amazing work in the town of Pallisa.
If someone should offer me a sum I can’t refuse, I might just be able to part with it.
In the meantime it graces my lounge room floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment